“An amazing life requires connection”. So says Loretta LaRoche in her wonderful book “Life is Short-Wear Your Party Pants”. In this crazy-busy world, we can get so caught up running in five directions at the same time, that even when we are with the people we care about most, we’re probably multi-tasking three different things. Sometimes we forget how important it is and how nurturing, to be fully present when we are with our family, friends, co-workers or the person we meet standing in line. Take time to make the connection. Our fellow human beings are our companions and our community.
If life is to be a party, then we need to share the singing, dancing, chatting and laughing with those around us. Loretta tells us that the more people we draw into our lives…the more interesting, varied, lively and fun the party will be. I don’t know about you, but I always love a great party. Especially the kind with funny hats and noisemakers.
Connect with kindness, compassion, empathy and good humor. Life is truly worthy of a celebration.
Here are ten easy ways to start connecting (or re-connecting) today.
1. Smile and share eye contact with the person in the elevator or behind you in line.
2. Give someone a compliment – and mean it.
3. Call a friend you haven’t spoken to in a long time just to say hi.
4. Spend time talking with your family during dinner. Bring back the family dinner table.
5. Start a conversation with the person behind the counter at your coffee shop. Learn something about them.
6. Call your mother!
7. Invite someone you just met to lunch.
8. Give a gift for no special reason other than you think the recipient would enjoy it.
9. Tell people how much you appreciate them and what they do for you. Go out on a limb here – your mail carrier, a fireman, your child’s teacher. Make their day!
10. Be thoughtful. Hold the door and smile to the person behind you. Let someone merge in traffic.
We are all in this together. How much nicer a world this would be if we could all remember that.